Go to next topic
graduating with low, LOW GPA
Last Post 09/07/2015 6:19 PM by HAHAHHA
28 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button

--

05/15/2013 3:20 PM
Author: JDidnt [21813]

I am graduating with a 2.17 gpa from a JD mill school. I am 250k in debt. I received a couple Ds and havent been able to recover. This whole experience has left me anxiety-filled and my self confidence has been all shot to hell. I have no legal work experience. I am not lazy but I have confidence issues that permeated throughout law school that affected my grades and networking, and hence internships, etc.

I know I am not below the average student- academically or intellectually.
Now, should I even bother to take the bar? Is there anyone out there who is/was in my shoes?

also, I have woken up every day regretting my decision to go to this particular law school. I want to do human rights work with my degree, not work at a big firm.

--
05/15/2013 3:52 PM
Author: mtbrider59 [21813]

Get a tutor before trying to take the bar, with a low GPA you will likely need to honeyour writing skills and legal knowledge to have a chance to pass. I'd say it would be worth it you might have to take a lower paying public interest job but you could still make a living while doing something you feel good about.

--
05/15/2013 4:34 PM
Author: Hastings [21813]

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a rough patch, but all is not lost, buddy.

I went to Syracuse Law. It's a mid-tier school, nothing more.

I was a very lazy law student, I admit it. One of those people who just enjoyed the curve, graduated near the bottom of the class. I had a 2.7 GPA.

I was nervous prior to taking the Bar Exam, my main thought was, "I didn't take law school seriously enough, I barely learned anything, I just bullshitted my away through exams because I'm a good writer, how can I possible pass the Bar."

Don't be fooled, though. Even though Bar prep is commonly referred to as BAR REVIEW, it's not much of a review for most people. Almost everybody is in a position where they are essentially learning the material for the first time. I mean, come on, how many people remember the nuances of Torts, three years after taking the course.

I took BarBri. It was grueling, but I stuck with it. I passed the Bar Exam by a big margin.

When it comes to the Bar, your performance in law school is not all that relevant, the Bar is almost a fresh start.

As far as your grades in law school, it really doesn't matter. I've interviewed a lot, landed an associate position and NOT ONCE did any employer so much as ask for a writing sample let alone a transcript with my GPA.

Listen, even though some people may walk around law school like they are hotshots, most people are all equally confused, some people are just better at faking it. So put your shoulders back, keep your head up, and don't let anything or anyone make you feel like you can't compete.

But, I won't bullshit you, Bar Prep does take a lot of commitment and hard work. Good luck.

--
05/15/2013 5:11 PM
Author: JDidnt [21813]

thank you for the advice. It is an everyday struggle but I am trying to work through it,

--
05/15/2013 6:17 PM
Author: Bobby [21813]

Law school is an unnerving experience. Lots of professors who either don't realize or don't care that their Socratic Method style of teaching is only remotely beneficial to those who wish to be trial attorneys, for everyone else it's just embarrassing, uncomfortable, and counterproductive. On top of that, the entire format of law school breeds backstabbing and competition within the student body.

No joke, some of the biggest assholes I've ever met in my life were in my law school class.

A lot of people seem to find the law school experience to be unpleasant, at best...nightmarish, at worst. The people who genuinely enjoyed law school, for the most part, are the ones who made so many others dislike it lol.

In any case. My best friend got a few D's in law school. Graduated dead last in our class. He passed the NY Bar right along w/ me, both of us on our first attempt. And at one point we'd both agreed that law school is hardly even necessary to pass the Bar. Law school is 90% case law, the Bar is 100% black letter law, it's more straightforward.

You'll be fine. Believe in yourself. You're a lot stronger than you think you are, I'd bet.

--
05/15/2013 7:29 PM
Author: Outstanding Advice! [21813]

Posted By on 05/15/2013 4:34 PM
Hey, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a rough patch, but all is not lost, buddy.

I went to Syracuse Law. It's a mid-tier school, nothing more.

I was a very lazy law student, I admit it. One of those people who just enjoyed the curve, graduated near the bottom of the class. I had a 2.7 GPA.

I was nervous prior to taking the Bar Exam, my main thought was, "I didn't take law school seriously enough, I barely learned anything, I just bullshitted my away through exams because I'm a good writer, how can I possible pass the Bar."

Don't be fooled, though. Even though Bar prep is commonly referred to as BAR REVIEW, it's not much of a review for most people. Almost everybody is in a position where they are essentially learning the material for the first time. I mean, come on, how many people remember the nuances of Torts, three years after taking the course.

I took BarBri. It was grueling, but I stuck with it. I passed the Bar Exam by a big margin.

When it comes to the Bar, your performance in law school is not all that relevant, the Bar is almost a fresh start.

As far as your grades in law school, it really doesn't matter. I've interviewed a lot, landed an associate position and NOT ONCE did any employer so much as ask for a writing sample let alone a transcript with my GPA.

Listen, even though some people may walk around law school like they are hotshots, most people are all equally confused, some people are just better at faking it. So put your shoulders back, keep your head up, and don't let anything or anyone make you feel like you can't compete.

But, I won't bullshit you, Bar Prep does take a lot of commitment and hard work. Good luck.

This is outstanding, encouraging advice. Thank you for taking out the time to write this.

--
06/07/2013 11:18 AM
Author: CA Atty [21813]

You should take the bar exam, but with your grades and lack of legal work and lack of networking/connections the odds of finding a job as an attorney are very small.

The worst decision you made was to continue paying tuition after your first year.

--
06/08/2013 11:46 AM
Author: Evan [21813]

Well, at least you'll be graduating with a JD. Sure, the JD doesn't carry as much prestige or weight as it once did because the legal profession is so saturated, but it's still an advanced, professional degree. Moreover, a lot of people fail to receive acceptances at any law school, on top of that, many fail out of law schools after being accepted, so even though you may be graduating towards the bottom of your class, at the very least, you are graduating, there's no sense in focusing on the negative when there's some clear positivity about your situation.

The above poster's comment is a bit harsh. Most people who aren't all that satisfied with their lives tend to project condescension and bitterness upon others. There is, however, some merit behind the comment even thought it was relayed bitterly. Specifically, it will be difficult for you to land work as an attorney. This economy is in very bad shape. There are experience middle-aged lawyers who've been laid off and are now looking for work, taking jobs that, in a good economy, could've easily went to young, inexperienced attorneys.

These days, even if you set your sights low, you need some experience OR you need to know somebody, an inside person.
You may have to volunteer or possible take a paralegal job just to get your foot in the door. It's not ideal, but that's just the nature of things.

--
06/19/2013 4:42 PM
Author: CANVatty [21813]

GPA doesn't matter a whole lot when it comes to passing the bar exam and getting licensed. As someone said previously, whether or not you were the top student or among the bottom in law school doesn't play a whole lot into studying for the exam - you are pretty much relearning the subjects and you are relearning them for the purposes of taking an exam (which can be very different from learning it during law school)

Now, obviously, the people who put in more time and effort during law school are going to have an advantage for the exam as they already are somewhat familiar with the subjects and how to approach studying/writing for them. But, that isn't to say that you won't have the same chance to pass the exam so long as you take it seriously.

Now, as far as GPA goes job-wise, generally, it doesn't matter a whole lot provided that you aren't after the $100-200k starting salary at a large law firm. Obviously, your GPA is going to have considerable weight if you are competing against others for a position at a large established firm - and even if you have a high GPA you still usually need to have graduated from a top tier school.

Otherwise, GPA is not that big of a deal, (in fact, even if it took you more than once to pass the bar exam, is not really a factor as well)

As long as you are licensed to practice law, and at least graduated from an ABA accredited school - you have a good chance at getting a decent job as an attorney; but of course like anything else, it depends on the competition and the market (which are pretty harsh right now for new attorneys)

--
06/19/2013 6:48 PM
Author: MyzDevyneOne [13]

It's not just you friend. We bottom of the classers gotta stick together! We will kick this bar exam's ass!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

--
08/13/2013 10:22 AM
Author: Anonymous [21813]

Your post pretty much sums up my experience in law school as well. I am going into my third year completely questioning my decision to even attend law school in the first place. The whole experience has been completely debilitating and my confidence shot. With that being said, have you made any decisions about taking the bar or proceeding further in this career? It's somewhat comforting to know I'm not alone.

--
08/17/2013 9:42 PM
Author: hi, it's me [21813]

I took the ny bar. I'm currently looking for jobs in ny but it seems that there are no job postings for new law graduates. I really don't know what to do at this point. What are the recently graduated experiences so far?

--
09/09/2013 5:32 PM
Author: Lawdude [21813]

Where there is a will, there is a way. Plenty of people told me that I could never get into law school or pass the bar -- I was able to do both. Remember, more people in life want to see you fail, so just ignore the negative comments. God bless you and go after your dreams!

--

Where there is a will, there is a way. Plenty of people told me that I could never get into law school or pass the bar -- I was able to do both. Remember, more people in life want to see you fail, so just ignore the negative comments. God bless you and go after your dreams!

--

--

--
09/09/2013 5:33 PM

--

--

--

--

--

--

--
02/07/2014 9:14 AM
Author: old_soul [3]

These posts are so encouraging! I've only received very dark advice from others and been told to drop out.
--
I'm in my 2L year, second semester. I currently have a 2.12 gpa, really low, I know. My ranking is at the bottom of my class; I'm second to last.

I am confident I can raise that GPA, however, but I have no idea how to approach this summer in terms of landing an unpaid internship. Any advice?

--
04/01/2015 11:15 PM
Author: It sucks [21813]

I have a 2.2 going into 3L and I have a job lined up. So long as I pass the bar! GPA isn't shit, they literally look for hard workers and people willing to learn. That was almost a quote from my boss! Stay the course and sell your talents. At the end of the day, the not big but regular law firms want producers. Give it to them. Good luck.

--
04/02/2015 10:26 PM
Author: wow [21813]

"should I even bother to sit the bar"

coward. You have no value. Die moving forward.

You sicken me.

--
04/04/2015 2:38 PM
Author: ariella42 [21813]

Take the bar. You already have the degree and the debt, so what's the worst that can happen? In all honesty, your lack of internships will probably hurt your chances more than anything, but I don't think you're doomed to never find a job (well, no more than any other recent law grad). When I looked for non-legal jobs briefly after graduation, I was questioned more about having a law degree and not practicing law more than anything. I graduated with a 2.9 GPA, so I didn't put it on my resume. I was told that people would probably ask me about it in interviews, but guess how many actually did? Zero. Of course, I didn't bother applying to any of the big firms, and small firms usually don't really care that much. I ended up getting a job with a small, relatively new firm. I don't make much, but I have a steady income and I'm getting very valuable experience. By the way, I passed the bar the first time, plus my firm just paid for me to take two additional bar exams (I just found out I passed the one from February and I'll take the second in July).

I do agree with those who suggest a good commercial bar prep course and/or a tutor. I honestly didn't try very hard in law school and had terrible study habits. Just having a course with a schedule and a way to evaluate my progress for the first bar exam was a huge help. I self-studied for the second one and did fine, but the sense of support and my level of confidence taking the first one with Kaplan helped me immensely.

--
09/07/2015 6:16 PM
Author: Laurabrock [21813]

What about pro bono work?

--
09/07/2015 6:19 PM
Author: HAHAHHA [21813]

No one will hire you until you pass the bar
after that no clinic will take you without an ABA degree (regardless of gpa)

As for actual free work. Holy shit, you best prepare to get sued and then disbarred.

---