07/05/2012 6:16 PM

Rate:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hi Friends,

I'm freaking out here. I'm having troubles with issue spotting because I havent fully memorized the law.  I'm spending 90% of my time memorizing outlines (up to 3 a day) and evenings doing practice questions/essays/etc.  I am so worried that I will not pass this exam.  I have passed another state in February (first time, too) prior to taking CA.  So, a lot of this is review for me.  But I am just really worried about passing CA because they ask for more details and the facts are more subtle.   What are you guys doing to prepare?

Am I suppose to be writing the essays like how Barbri's sample answers do? Are the issue checklists really that important/helpful?

Law Student Avatar Author: learn v. memorize [21813]
07/05/2012 9:38 PM

Memorizing is awesome. Really, it is. 

LEARNING the law is better. You learn it by doing the essay, and seeing it applied to the facts in the sample answers. Then you remember it later when your "memorization" fails you. 

Yes the issue checklists are helpful. 

Law Student Avatar Author: SoWorried [21813]
07/06/2012 4:00 AM

Posted By on 05 Jul 2012 09:38 PM

Memorizing is awesome. Really, it is. 

LEARNING the law is better. You learn it by doing the essay, and seeing it applied to the facts in the sample answers. Then you remember it later when your "memorization" fails you. 

Yes the issue checklists are helpful. 

You are absolutely correct.  I have been looking over the essays, for example, Comm Prop, and I learned SO MUCH by just issue spotting and reading them.  It was a religious experience, lol.  I need to do more of that...

Law Student Avatar Author: BeenThere [21813]
07/06/2012 8:56 AM

You need to reverse what you are doing. In other words--spend the majority of your time writing out essays and PT's--not just memorizing outlines and hoping that it will stick in your brain.  Passive study (i.e. memorizing) is a waste of time because it doesn't force you to spot the issue and state the rule in your own words.  The mechanics of writing and outlining essays and PT's will burn it into your brain.  Of course, it is a much steeper and therefore harder climb--but you get to your goal much faster than simply crossing your fingers and just hoping that by reading something a million times you will somehow understand it.  Writing essays and PT's forces you to see whether you truly know a subject or just hope that you do.  That is why a lot of people don't want to do it--they are scared that they will discover that they don't know the subject, or worse, can't understand it.  Dig as a deep as you have to and find that confidence--believe in yourself.  If you do, you will face your fears and learn whatever you need to learn to pass.  Confidence in your abilities is the most important key to succeeding on the Bar.  Good luck!

Law Student Avatar Author: BeenThere [21813]
07/06/2012 8:57 AM

You are so right!  That is the absolute truth.  Learning is a million times better than memorizing.

Law Student Avatar Author: Agree [21813]
07/06/2012 9:17 AM

I agree with the posts about learning. When I was studying for the cbx I found that practicing essays was the best way to retain the material. You just have to prevent yourself from freaking out when you compare your practice essay to the sample answers. Yours will likely look inadequate compared to, for example, Barbri's. (It'll happen, especially in the beginning).

If you're memorizing 90% of the time, I'd adjust that breakdown. Maybe 70-30 favoring practicing essays. Memorizing is important too because you need to be familiar enough with the law to spew it out quickly. But the important thing is to be able to spot when and what law to spew out.

Law Student Avatar Author: SoWorried [21813]
07/06/2012 10:30 AM

Thank you all -- I am doing several timed PTs from here till exam day.  In the evenings, I am doing essays---if it's issue spotting and outlining or fully writing them out.   Reading and understanding the essay answers are essential to learning

Law Student Avatar Author: Fight On! [21813]
07/06/2012 11:51 AM

I passed the CBX in Feb. on my first attempt and I only wrote out 1 essay... I have always thought it was a waste of an hour to write out the whole essay, but I issue spotted (closed book) and then read the sample answers for every CBX essay from 2000-present as well as most of the BarBri essays. It would take me around 15 minutes per essay to do this.

Law Student Avatar Author: jenniea9 [21813]
07/07/2012 12:52 PM

"Am I suppose to be writing the essays like how Barbri's sample answers do? Are the issue checklists really that important/helpful?"

Do NOT attempt to write the essays like the BarBri sample answers.  These are just plain awful.  Most of them are not even in proper IRAC format.  Several former bar graders have told me that they would not be passing answers.  

You really need to compare your essays to actual real passing answers, not "model" ones.  Look at the passing answers on the calbar site or on BarEssays.com.  You will see how different they are from the fake barbri answers.

Law Student Avatar Author: agree [21813]
07/07/2012 1:54 PM

Posted By on 07 Jul 2012 12:52 PM

"Am I suppose to be writing the essays like how Barbri's sample answers do? Are the issue checklists really that important/helpful?"

Do NOT attempt to write the essays like the BarBri sample answers.  These are just plain awful.  Most of them are not even in proper IRAC format.  Several former bar graders have told me that they would not be passing answers.  

You really need to compare your essays to actual real passing answers, not "model" ones.  Look at the passing answers on the calbar site or on BarEssays.com.  You will see how different they are from the fake barbri answers.

I agree. I have no authority on my position on this, but sometimes I find things that are wrong in the Barbri answers- or huge issues that they missed. Especially in criminal law/procedure where the evidence isn't admissible b/c violation of 4th amendment but there's some other fact where you can argue inevitability. They just conclude and don't mention it. My essays always have the same rules they have when I write them out, but sometimes more things, and mine are ALWAYS longer typed- 5-6 pages mostly. The one I just did had a 3 page sample answer- my answer in word was 6 pages. 

I think they are good for issue spotting in general- but don't be afraid to use your brain. In the real world you will be forced to argue whatever it takes to get your client a win. So do that- if you think it applies and can find some basis for application. 

That's easier to do in subjects like evidence or crim law, or maybe even torts. Anyways, the use of your brain is something I feel that the Barbri sample answers limits. 

Law Student Avatar Author: leafbarprep.com [21813]
07/07/2012 10:27 PM

Email me, I will show you how to issue spot on the CA Bar exam.  No charge, everyone welcome.  I can assure you this method will work.  leafbarprep.com - leafbarprep@gmail.com.  Worse case you waste 20 minutes talking to me.  Best case you learn a method for issue spotting on CA Bar. See my reviews in the Courses-Tutors section of all4jds.

Law Student Avatar Author: leafbarprep.com [21813]
07/07/2012 10:29 PM

Email me, I will show you how to issue spot on the CA Bar exam.  No charge, everyone welcome.  I can assure you this method will work.  leafbarprep.com - leafbarprep@gmail.com.  Worst case you waste 20 minutes talking to me.  Best case you learn a method for issue spotting on CA Bar. See my reviews in the Courses-Tutors section of all4jds.

Law Student Avatar Author: cfe [21813]
07/08/2012 12:36 AM

they are right in saying that barbri model answers are not that good. too verbose. dont follow their format. go to baressays site so you would know the comments of actual graders and how to get high score with the format that the graders want. i got access to this (nymex17@gmail.com)

Law Student Avatar Author: propita [21813]
07/08/2012 1:55 PM

Most of the BarBri sample answers suck.

Some people must do practice essays to get in the groove, others need only memorize and review answers. What worked for you in school will likely work for the CBX.

What matters is that you UNDERSTAND the law, so that you can understand what the subject and issues are. Then you must understand the process in each subject, that's the outline for each subject you've hopefully prepared and reviewed. That covers issue spotting and outlining your answer. THEN comes the actual law.

You can screw up the actual law for damages, for general/limited partnership, landowner duty, etc. What matters is that you know it's an issue in that step of the process, that you're applying the facts to whatever excuse for actual law you put down, and that you're concluding--whether at the start, finish, or both.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
See all Bar Exam topics

TXT      : (312) 554-5379

Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: Rob
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 7
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 4
User Count Overall: 8469

Copyright by All4JDs.com aka AllForJDs.com aka JDJinx.com aka BarExam.Co