Sort:

--

05/18/2013 10:28 PM
Author: Gator [21813]

What's the inside scoop?

--
05/19/2013 9:49 PM
Author: smurf [21813]

This is the most competitive legal market in history, that would be a huge waste of time and money for only a dubious increase in job prospects

--
05/23/2013 3:44 PM
Author: Goggleduck [21813]

Posted By <span class='af-profile-name'>Anonymous</span> on 05/18/2013 10:28 PM
What's the inside scoop?

IF that's the best school to which you could receive admission, work hard during your first year, then transfer into a better school. I'm not one of those losers who refers to all schools below the top 15 as "toilets" but you're talking about a school that's at the bottom of the tier 4. If it has some clout in the immediate area of its location, then ok, go there, get the degree, and land a job, but generally speaking, I don't think the school carries much weight in any community.

--
05/27/2013 12:11 PM
Author: ChrisMindless [5]

As a graduate of FCSL, I think I can answer your question with clarity and honesty. First of all, I am practicing in Ohio and Texas. The first thing about this market is that the traditional model of going to a "good" school, getting into a firm, and growing your skills is not the way of today. Over 44,000 law students graduate per year. The Moot Court team at FCSL has won and is winning over teams from Harvard, Yale, Duke, etc ... It's not the school. It really isn't. The name of the school and the few connections are nice, but the price tag is the biggest fallout of FCSL. It's too expensive for what you get. Now, what really matters?

Nobody asked my grades, my ranking, etc. They just asked, are you licensed and what do you know. Experience is everything. Period. Marketing and being a good salesman is everything. Period.

I make more money and bring in more clients through my personal interaction and my success/failure in court depends on the case, the client, and my experience. FCSL, like all law school, is a waste of 3 years. You really only need 2 years to prepare for the BAR stuff, and the 3rd year is wasted unless you do Externships/work. That's about it. Work! Experience!

I got my job based on my experience and my personality. Not the school. Nobody cares. Clients don't ask. And I interned at a big ol law firm in Tokyo, Japan ... let me tell you about a crappy lifestyle! But they make lots of money.

Just get a JD. Pass a BAR. Get experience. Done. That's it. The rest is internet forum BS and worthless opinion. Go to school. Get experience. Make connections.

Finally, there is a LOT of competition. Experience is what sets the candidates apart. Private practice and small firms are the dominate source of employment for just about everyone. That's okay! Big firms ... eh, if you want to brag and be cool to people who don't care ... go for it, I guess. I'm happy working 40 hours a week, leaving when I want, going to Court, etc. It's a cool lifestyle. Just don't get all wrapped up in the BS. Goto school. If you can't afford it, don't go. The loans will KILL YOU unless you know how to work the system.

--
05/27/2013 12:16 PM
Author: ChrisMindless [5]

As a follow-up to my unedited post ... the point to take away is, don't get all wrapped up in school rankings. It's stupid. It's pointless. Nobody really cares except a very limited number of people. Employers want to know WHAT YOU DID, WHAT YOU KNOW, etc ... Because we are here to make money and if you can't do the job, so what if you went to Harvard, you are worthless to me as an employee. If you went to FCSL and do a great job, you're hired! It doesn't matter. But if you have to fund all of law school on loans, DON'T GO! The interest will bury you in debt. If you can get a scholarship, than go. But keep your costs down or this profession isn't worth it.

--
05/29/2013 2:34 PM
Author: Holland [21813]

Posted By <a href='http://all4jds.com/ChrisMindless.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>ChrisMindless</a> on 05/27/2013 12:11 PM
As a graduate of FCSL, I think I can answer your question with clarity and honesty. First of all, I am practicing in Ohio and Texas. The first thing about this market is that the traditional model of going to a "good" school, getting into a firm, and growing your skills is not the way of today. Over 44,000 law students graduate per year. The Moot Court team at FCSL has won and is winning over teams from Harvard, Yale, Duke, etc ... It's not the school. It really isn't. The name of the school and the few connections are nice, but the price tag is the biggest fallout of FCSL. It's too expensive for what you get. Now, what really matters?

Nobody asked my grades, my ranking, etc. They just asked, are you licensed and what do you know. Experience is everything. Period. Marketing and being a good salesman is everything. Period.

I make more money and bring in more clients through my personal interaction and my success/failure in court depends on the case, the client, and my experience. FCSL, like all law school, is a waste of 3 years. You really only need 2 years to prepare for the BAR stuff, and the 3rd year is wasted unless you do Externships/work. That's about it. Work! Experience!

I got my job based on my experience and my personality. Not the school. Nobody cares. Clients don't ask. And I interned at a big ol law firm in Tokyo, Japan ... let me tell you about a crappy lifestyle! But they make lots of money.

Just get a JD. Pass a BAR. Get experience. Done. That's it. The rest is internet forum BS and worthless opinion. Go to school. Get experience. Make connections.

Finally, there is a LOT of competition. Experience is what sets the candidates apart. Private practice and small firms are the dominate source of employment for just about everyone. That's okay! Big firms ... eh, if you want to brag and be cool to people who don't care ... go for it, I guess. I'm happy working 40 hours a week, leaving when I want, going to Court, etc. It's a cool lifestyle. Just don't get all wrapped up in the BS. Goto school. If you can't afford it, don't go. The loans will KILL YOU unless you know how to work the system.

Hi, you said that "experience is everything, period" then went on to say that "marketing and being a good salesman is everything, period." LOL pick one stance to end with the word, PERIOD, buddy, it makes you seem a little more competent.

--
05/29/2013 2:44 PM
Author: Holland [21813]

Posted By <a href='http://all4jds.com/ChrisMindless.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>ChrisMindless</a> on 05/27/2013 12:16 PM
As a follow-up to my unedited post ... the point to take away is, don't get all wrapped up in school rankings. It's stupid. It's pointless. Nobody really cares except a very limited number of people. Employers want to know WHAT YOU DID, WHAT YOU KNOW, etc ... Because we are here to make money and if you can't do the job, so what if you went to Harvard, you are worthless to me as an employee. If you went to FCSL and do a great job, you're hired! It doesn't matter. But if you have to fund all of law school on loans, DON'T GO! The interest will bury you in debt. If you can get a scholarship, than go. But keep your costs down or this profession isn't worth it.

Is it a coincidence that someone who graduated from a low Tier 4 school claims that rankings are worthless? Hey, it goes the other way, too, people from T15 schools claim that ranking are everything. The reality is, rankings count to some degree.

Look, man. I understand that you're probably not beaming with pride to have gone to a school that most people think of as trash while others have just never heard of it and think it's the name of a seafood restaurant with an ocean view, but you're giving lousy advice.

You keep saying that "experience is everything." Well, most people finish law school and pass the Bar w/o any experience, and THAT is when a school's status comes into play. If a person went to a respected law school, it speaks for itself, it says, "Even though I don't have any work experience yet, I had the accolades to get into one of the highest ranked law schools, and that shows that I can hit the ground running." If you went to a throw-away school, it won't speak for itself and gaining that "experience" of which you speak so highly will be difficult, especially in this economy.

At the end of the day, as I implied, a school's rank is not everything. I think the ability to network can actually trump almost anything else these days, but a school's rank is, for the most part, relevant. so really give it some thought if you're interested in a legal career. You may be well advised to retake the LSAT.

Add Reply

Copyright by All4JDs.com