Specialization for Political Science Degree Holders
Last Post 09/23/2015 7:19 AM by advocate
3 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:

--

10/22/2014 6:25 PM
Author: LawIsGreat [21813]

I was always curious why there aren't more fields of specializations in the law aside from just patent law. For example, shouldn't there be a specialized bar for, let's say, government law? Those wishing to practice as an attorney for federal, state, and local governments would have to be an admitted government attorney. The requirement to be a government attorney should be a bachelor's or higher in political science.

The fact that political science is not considered a "technical" or "STEM" degree does not make any sense to me whatsoever. Both science and mathematics are involved in political science, so why does it not make the cut? I always laughed in my mind when law professors said you needed a "science" degree to be admitted to the patent bar. Political SCIENCE, need I say more? I digress.

I can understand why there would be no specializations for those only with a humanities degree, but for rigorous degrees such as political science, there should be a special place in the law.

--
09/12/2015 7:21 PM
Author: Tass [21813]

I was a poly sci major. There was no math in political science other than the very basic statistics course I took (at least to me, it was very basic). No hard core science courses, either.

Poly Sci was a rigorous program, but you are kidding yourself if you think its comparable to a STEM degree in level of difficulty.

--
09/12/2015 7:48 PM
Author: it bugs me that you seem serious here [21813]

OF COURSE polysci is NOT a STEM degree. Its only "science" in the loosest sense. Its not at all the same thing.

Now that being said, you do not need stem to do it UNLESS you want patent law, then you do, no way around it, just the way it is.

But otherwise just take the blowoff easy polysci and have fun. But no major helps more than any other for any regular law admissions other than how it affects your gpa. This isn't medical school.

--
09/23/2015 7:19 AM
Author: advocate [17]

This has no relevance to law school but at the graduate level Pol Sci is heavily weighted towards math based quantitative research especially if you expect to get any job other than teaching high school.

Add Reply

Copyright by All4JDs.com