Choice between ABA and Non ABA school
Last Post 06/18/2009 7:30 PM by CAbargirl
7 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:

--

06/11/2009 10:37 PM
Author: Unsure [21813]

I was accepted to Southern New England School of Law which is a non-aba approved school and have two weeks to make a decision as to whether to attend there or not. I had applied to the school as a last resort figuring I could transfer to an ABA school after my first year. I still have yet to hear from one more law school though, University of D.C. which is an ABA approved school.

Should I contact SNE and see if I could wait to respond to them until I have heard back from University of DC? The only reason I am asking is because I was denied to everywhere else I applied and therefore don't want to wait to find that I've been denied again and risk not attending school at all. Any advice on what I should do?

--
06/12/2009 11:02 AM
Author: Ed [162]

Are you sure you can transfer to an ABA school?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 7:38 PM, <

--
06/18/2009 11:28 AM
Author: rj [21813]

I was also accepted to that school, and im pressed with the same decision. I've been asking around and it seems that it woould be hard to transfer to a ABA school.

--
06/18/2009 2:44 PM
Author: slums [21813]

First, you should consider re-taking the LSAT. If you're considering the non-ABA school versus the University of D.C., it's likely that your problem is a very low LSAT score.

It is possible to increase your LSAT score. Take 6 months to study for it, 1 year, even 2 years if need be. And then apply to a wide range of schools.

It's one thing to graduate from either of those 2 schools with no debt, and a completely different case if you're taking out loans to attend school there. If you have a full-ride at those schools, then by all means take the school in D.C. However, if you're paying to go to school there, it is irrational and irresponsible to get into debt to graduate from a school where you will have limited options; in this economy, VERY LIMITED.

And there's no guarantee that you will be able to transfer. Everyone else at that school likely wants to transfer as well, and it would be foolish to believe that you'll perform better than them considering that all of you have the same goals.

Case in point, I attended a top 20 law school because I was offered a full ride and believed I would be able to transfer to a higher ranked school after my 1L year. Although I got into the school I really wanted to attend during the law school application process, I decided to go to the lower ranked school because they offered me a full scholarship (including living stipend), and I believed that 1 free year of law school would be prudent.

I was wrong. I finished my 1L year at the median, and was unable to transfer out. Don't get me wrong, I still had a good job after graduation in NYC, and I graduated with no debt. But to assume that you will be able to transfer because "I'm going to study really hard" is ridiculous and naive. I was naive and stupid as well.

Remember, EVERYONE wants to finish in the top 10% of their class going into law school. 90% of everyone finishes outside the top 10% of their class.

--
06/18/2009 3:02 PM
Author: worked out fine [21813]

i went to a CBA (calbar-approved) law school. i took the bar in july and passed. i now have a job as a district attny. it worked out fine for me, not so well for others.

--
06/18/2009 4:00 PM
Author: slums [21813]

That's my point exactly. While you now are a DA and have solid career prospects, the odds are against people in your situation, especially in this economic climate. Further, the legal market is only beginning to hit the fan in terms of layoffs, reduced salaries, etc.

If you are going to attend a non-ABA approved or even a lower-tier law school, make sure it's on scholarship. There very high risk in attending a no-name school when you're taking out $100,000+ in debt. You'll be straddled with that debt the rest of your life, because odds are you're not going to make $150,000+ like graduates from Yale, Harvard, etc. do.

Just be sure to weigh the financial considerations. RETAKE THE LSAT. YOU CAN GET A HIGHER SCORE.

--
06/18/2009 4:22 PM
Author: worked out fine [21813]

i agree. keep taking the lsat until you can get into a more reputable law school.

--
06/18/2009 7:30 PM
Author: CAbargirl [21813]

I echo the sentiments above about not going to a lower-ranked law school, let alone a non-ABA one. I know so many people who did this and ended up not finding a job in the legal profession at all, plus were saddled with enormous amounts of debt. As for me, I went to a top 5 law school, clerked for two federal judges, and I am 3 mos away from unemployment because I can't find a job in the entire state of CA. Looking back, i'm not sure I even did the right thing going to law school at all, given my current predicament. So yes, retake the LSAT, get in and go to the best possible school you can get into. Just my two cents.

Add Reply

Copyright by All4JDs.com