Doc Review Job
Last Post 09/27/2012 10:13 PM by Bank
4 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:

--

09/25/2012 8:37 PM
Author: Abe [21813]

So, after a few months of a fruitless job search, Ive taken the only quasi legal job I could find-Doc review.

Id appreciate any feedback from people who have done it. How long does each project last, how much did you get paid, how long were the days, and is it really as horrible of a job as I hear it is?

--
09/26/2012 9:29 AM
Author: peanuthead [21813]

After the first few days, your eyeballs feel like they are gonna bleed.

--
09/26/2012 1:36 PM
Author: IllinoisPasser [21813]

Well, the doc review circuit can vary widely in almost every imaginable way. I've seen pay rates between $9 and $35/hour. You can get more if you are fluent in other languages. They can last anywhere from a couple of days to a year. Sometimes jobs will end without much notice at all. As for conditions, again these vary. I've heard of conditions as bad as having to check out to use the bathroom, check your cell phone at the door, and no internet. However, I've also worked where cell phones and ipods were permitted and no checking out for the bathroom.
The hours can range as well. Some jobs will require 40 hours a week all the way up to 55 hours a week. Some are strict with those hours, others could care less. Thus, it's really a toss up with what you will get. As for being "bad" well doc review isn't horrible anymore than an assembly line worker's job is horrible. It's just mind numbingly boring and could in theory be done by any college graduate. Doc review is basically the assembly line of the legal world.
You'll basically spend about 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, going through documents and determining whether they are responsive and/or privileged.

--
09/26/2012 2:50 PM
Author: abe [21813]

Thanks for the feedback. I didnt think doc review work paid less than 25/hr, anything less is basically insulting. This project pays 30/hr. I hear its pretty mind numbing, and can be be pretty destructive to your career if you do it for too long. But, its been a few months without work, and I need the money. I have no idea how long this specific project lasts. I really hope I can bring in my ipod, being able to listen to music would make a huge difference.

--
09/27/2012 10:13 PM
Author: Bank [21813]

For $25/hr, its probably worth it, especially if you're putting in a lot of hours. Assuming 40 hr weeks over 1 year, that's a gross of $52k/yr for doc review.

For anything less than $25/hr though, I would rather work a "regular guy, non-law job." Maybe I'd do something more interesting and less stressful like be a park ranger, consultant, management, or go into some sort of insurance sales.

Some of those jobs are harder to get though if you have the "law degree stigma" weighing you down.

Add Reply

Copyright by All4JDs.com