PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
anyone have experience in applying for and getting a fed job?
Last Post 10/07/2012 5:55 PM by the edge
5 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:

--

09/29/2012 11:33 AM
Author: positivethinking [21813]

I wanted to know if anyone has experience with fed attorney job applications.

The deadline was sept 14th and I got an email that I was BEST QUALIFIED/PREFFERED and that a hiring person would contact me for an interview if selected out of the pool.

I know that I am very qualified for the position so I just wanted to know how long does it usually take to get contacted back, and if I am not getting an interview do they let you know?

Thanks!

--
09/29/2012 1:33 PM
Author: + [21813]

All the applicants are considered Best/Preferred Qualified for the job.

--
09/29/2012 8:33 PM
Author: smurf [21813]

I have lots of experience with applying for jobs, including fed jobs, but not so much experience with getting jobs. I had experience that was very relevant to lots of jobs, but was typically beat our by someone with more experience, and that had been practicing for a few years. So, as a bearer of bad news to come, if you are a recent grad, the job will be going to someone else.

--
09/30/2012 9:01 AM
Author: anon [21813]

Read the forums at fed soup or 911 jobs. Google them. Those forums will give you so much more insight than here. Not everyone is deemed best qualified or referred to the selection official, that is very good news. It is still possible you wont be interviewed, vet preference is a big factor. But enjoy the good news and read up on the forums for interview tips.

--
10/02/2012 11:18 AM
Author: Former Fed [21813]

All applications go through a screening that is done by a group of low-paid idiots. They screen you based on key words in your responses in the application.

If you are in the best/preferred group, it means your application is forwarded to the hiring officials. In my experience (having worked in the federal government), you have a small shot unless you know someone. My old boss was always hiring friends, and even reposting the jobs multiple times when a friend couldn't get their application through the initial screening process.

--
10/07/2012 5:55 PM
Author: the edge [21813]

If you are a new grad and you are applying based on class rank alone don't waste your time.

There are 3 keys to get a fed job:
- Internship at the relevant Fed Gov Agency
- Rank Class
- Experience, although you can overcome this barrier if you have connections and/or your internship left a good impression previously. Like one of the posters mentioned, there's always someone else with more experience than you

Most of the time, preference goes to attorneys who already hold a fed gov job, or to recent law grads who just passed the bar but also held a fed gov job.

Getting a federal attorney gov job is harder than private practice.

Good luck though

Add Reply

Copyright by All4JDs.com