• :
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:
You must be Logged In to post a reply.
Author Messages
Author: Anonymous [21813]

--
11/28/2012 7:26 AM
    Does anyone have any advice or a study schedule you used to study for the bar while working full time?
    Author: workerbee [21813]

--
    11/28/2012 7:26 AM
    i should add that i took (and passed) the July bar exam but now i am studying for a different state
    Author: MissFeasance [21813]

--
    11/28/2012 8:12 AM
    I'm doing this atm (CBX, BigLaw, I'm crazy, right?).

I started early reviewing the substantive law and I'm starting the flexible option of Themis next week. I'm hoping to get ahead and get through the law as soon as possible and then learn it through practice questions.

I'm trying to study in the mornings before work and weekends and intend to ramp this up in the run up. I think the key is to be efficient, rather than try to learn EVERYTHING. Also, I can get the lectures on my phone and listen to them on the way to and from work.

I think they key will be to use the time I have as efficiently as possible.

So yeah, I don't know if that will work yet, ask me again in June...
    Author: 1stTimePasser [21813]

--
    11/28/2012 8:24 AM
    I just added a state this July after passing before. My state was not terribly complicated but I am also working full time 50 hours per week plus a lot of nights.

I had passed a bar the year before by a good margin. I studied for about 3 weeks before the bar but that consisted of reviewing my old outlines and taking practice MBE questions.

I started reviewing state substantive on my lunch break aobut 6 weeks out. I passed easily so if you have passed before don't let it freak you out too much. The material should come flooding back to you.
    Author: I did This [21813]

--
    11/28/2012 10:48 AM
    I was working biglaw and did this for California in July-only took the two-day attorney's exam but I passed on the first try.

I studied from 4pm-2am for 6 weeks. On the weekends I put in 14-15 hours. It sucked. I was exhausted. I did ZERO fun things during this entire time. But it worked for me.

I used Barbri books from 2011, made my own outlines, and then did every old essay I could get my hands on. I wrote them out under timed conditions. I'm convinced this is what helped me pass this beast.

It's a bitch, but doable. Good luck!
    Author: MissFeasance [21813]

--
    11/29/2012 1:42 AM
    Big law and starting studying at 4pm does not compute to me...
    Author: Malfeasance [21813]

--
    11/29/2012 10:14 AM
    LOL, good catch
    Author: I did this [21813]

--
    11/29/2012 1:07 PM

Posted By on 29 Nov 2012 01:42 AM
    Big law and starting studying at 4pm does not compute to me...

I got in to the office around 7am, and left at 4. (most nights). I did it for 6 weeks. I run my own docket, so with appropriate time management skills it was doable. I also scheduled all depos for August (after the bar), and asked opposing counsel to reset some hearings that were in July. If you run your own docket, it's possible. If you're in years 1-5, you're right, probably not....
    Author: 1stTimePasser [21813]

--
    11/30/2012 12:02 PM
    Jeez to "I did this" I am not as motivated as you ... I guess I was comfortable with knowing about how little I could do and still pass. I scaled back my work load as much as I could but still was beat when I got home, hence my minimal study time.
    Author: valtd [21813]

--
    11/30/2012 12:25 PM
    Well I studied from 5am to 9am and then from 8pm to 12am for 6 weeks and ate poop on that horrid nightmare. I wasn't even close. Hired a tutor too - I am considering taking the MBE to get some extra points to bridge the gap - but I think working full time and studying is very difficult if you are responsible for anything outside of work (from pets to grocery shopping).
    Author: That will be me [21813]

--
    11/30/2012 11:26 PM
    I have three kids, husband, 4 cats, a job from 8-5, jeez I feel I do not have enough time to study! I failed July 2012 CBX, I am taking it again Feb 2013, I do not want to fail again, but man, it is so hard, where do I find the time?
    Author: I did this too [21813]

--
    12/02/2012 12:28 PM
    I studied for and passed the bar while clerking. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. Did the Barbri on line course and really focused on the practice questions. Went through all of them until I reached 70%+ in all of the subjects. Also completed the Barbri amp and read the relevant outline sections as I went (for wrong answers on the amp). I started earlier on the practice questions (did those all on line/phone to keep track of my progress) and really buckled down about 6 weeks out. Studied from 6- midnight diring the week and went to chambers to study all weekend (to eliminate distractions). Did a full practice mbe 2 weeks before. Could not possibly do everything in the program, e.g. did very little practice on the essay portion and just managed to listen to all of the lectures. Was a horrible way to live.
    Author: Admin. Law Rep [21813]

--
    12/03/2012 2:37 PM
    I worked full time for an organization representing county employees at civil service hearings. I passed.

I got outlines for all 16 (or so, depending on how you count it) testable subjects and went through the big 6 first. Everyday after work for about 3-4 hours I'd first go through an outline. Started with torts. After I got through the whole outline I'd do about 20 (at first) MBE's (through adaptibar) of only Torts. I'd do this everyday until I got through the whole outline. Then I'd do the next subject.

It'd take me about 2-3 days (on average) to get through a whole subject. By the time I was finished will all subjects I started doing Mixed subject MBE's 50 per day, every day. On the weekends I'd do one or two essays and once every other week I'd review a (not actually write out a full blown) PT. I'd read the PT from beginning to end, then read the sample answers.

I'm just sharing what worked for me. I was a 1x repeater. Best of Luck!
    Author: thank [21813]

--
    12/26/2012 9:49 AM
    this sounds doable for me, thanks so much!
    Author: NY/NJ Feb2016 Retaker [21813]

--
    01/03/2016 10:13 AM
    I work full time at a bank in NYC. I have a 2hr commute (3 different rails) to and from work. I am married (read: house duties). I tried to start studying earlier, but it has been incredibly difficult. I don't have a huge support system in this area, so I am just looking for advice on how to tackle NY/NJ Feb 2016 bar exam. So far I am using the Emanuel's MBE book, but I haven't gotten past the first subject (ConLaw) from November - December (I finished reading the summary, but can't finish the MBE questions). I am also listening to the lectures for BarBri (not planning on doing their assessments or diagnostics though, only essays, questions and lectures). I would love to purchase BarMax, but I probably won't be able to afford it until February. I can't seem to find a 2-4 block of time where I am not falling asleep. I would appreciate advice from someone about how to pass this time. Thank you.

Author: NY/NJ Feb2016 Retaker [21813]

--
    01/03/2016 10:14 AM
    I work full time at a bank in NYC. I have a 2hr commute (3 different rails) to and from work. I am married (read: house duties). I tried to start studying earlier, but it has been incredibly difficult. I don't have a huge support system in this area, so I am just looking for advice on how to tackle NY/NJ Feb 2016 bar exam. So far I am using the Emanuel's MBE book, but I haven't gotten past the first subject (ConLaw) from November - December (I finished reading the summary, but can't finish the MBE questions). I am also listening to the lectures for BarBri (not planning on doing their assessments or diagnostics though, only essays, questions and lectures). I would love to purchase BarMax, but I probably won't be able to afford it until February. I can't seem to find a 2-4 block of time where I am not falling asleep. I would appreciate advice from someone about how to pass this time. Thank you.

Author: question followup [21813]

--
    01/03/2016 9:02 PM
    Do you mean two hours for the combo (one hour each way) or two each way (four hours combo) for commute?

If on train........YOU JUST WON THE LOTTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Study on the train. Get flash cards. THESE are the ones I used:

http://www.criticalpass.com/

If you download the lectures, you can listen to them on the train too.

http://www.barprephero.com is free MBE prep practice questions too if you have wifi on that commute

As for home duties. REALITY CHECK TIME. Tell your family to take care of themselves AND take care of you (make YOUR meals, clean YOUR clothes) if they put up a fight, threaten to divorce them. YOU WILL FAIL IF YOU DONT DO THIS (reality)

If they can't do that, then HIDE in the library or get a hotel by the week closer to work and study in there and stay out of the home.

Also, try to ask for time off work. Do you want to work at the bank post bar exam? If so, fucking skip the exam its pointless. If not, find a way to get "laid off" and get unemployment and study.

Life is all about choices.

Also, don't buy crap bar review. Barbri, Kaplin, or Themis
    Any other is saving a penny today to lose an entire lifetime tomorrow

Don't listen to posters here. They are shit clueless.
    Author: LOL [21813]

--
    01/04/2016 4:13 PM

Posted By Anonymous on 01/03/2016 9:02 PM
    Don't listen to posters here. They are shit clueless.

Author: reality [21813]

--
    01/04/2016 7:17 PM
    enjoy it hitting you in face like a freighttraine and the grotch like a well,

THIS!!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FORM=VIRE5
    Author: reality [21813]

--
    01/04/2016 7:17 PM
    enjoy it hitting you in face like a freighttraine and the grotch like a well,

THIS!!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FORM=VIRE5
    You must be Logged In to post a reply.