PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Anyone Denied Moral Character and Fitness ?
Last Post 04/11/2019 1:04 PM by Galawgirl
72 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:
Page 1 of 212 > >>

--

02/26/2015 7:01 PM
Author: hi [21813]

1. Anyone denied moral character and fitness? If so what for?
2. What will they fail you for?
3. In California you can pay $500+ for the appeal I think.
4. If so much time goes by can you re-appeal if the initial failure and appeal is denied?

=======================================
Note to California Bar people:

Does the state bar get tax money to operate on or does the state bar operate solely on fees to operate? I understand moral character and fitness in California can take 6 months to 12 months to complete. Is this true? I have to plan ahead for employment.

Me:

1. lots of past finance problems
a. credit cards turned off
b. some cards settled some not
c. warrant for my arrest for bad check - it was subsequently paid
d. several eviction notices for two apartments for late or no rent
e. two banks closed my checking accounts in separate years one bank was paid off the other not.

Info: in undergrad I had credit cards did not pay on time and amount owed exploded. one card cut up at store others never paid (19 years ago). second problem lost several jobs could not pay checks bounced credit cards not paid off. Let statute of limitations run on them. Went back paid one off.

2. lots of employment terminations
a. Fired 5 times

3. expelled from one school for not paying bill
bill was later released due to a subsequent death in the family.

4. criminal convictions -
a. misdemeanor disorderly contact - alleged I was yelling the F word at midnight on a public sidewalk - I pleaded nolo contendere.
b. misdemeanor disorderly conduct - alleged I was yelling in a parking lot at the police. I paid the $300 fine not knowing I could plead not guilty. I did not understand the ticket which was on a traffic ticket form and given I was told by the police station later if I paid the fine I would be fine. I did not understand what a misdemeanor was and thought if I paid the fine the misdemeanor went away. I did not understand it was a criminal charge. I thought it was a violation of a city ordinance or a traffic like violation.

5. Massive student loan debt 2 times the average law school student amount owed given I have a mba which was financed by federal student loans.

--
02/26/2015 7:41 PM
Author: Honestly [21813]

Honestly, its better to have one felony (even for murder or rape) then a never ending list of bad character like you have shown

one is a bad mistake

two is being and idiot

a long list shows its not "mistakes" its just who you are
that goes to BOTH your character AND your fitness

--
02/26/2015 9:58 PM
Author: Wouldn't Worry [21813]

I'm pretty sure--especially since there are all sorts of attorneys re-admitted after disbarment for really fucked up crimes--that you'll be fine.

My PR Professor explained the process as one where the Bar just wants to see if you will be honest and upfront with them about everything rather than a process where they use your past history to beat you over the head with a stick. Pretty sure that two Misdos aren't gonna kill you on this one, even with the other problems you listed.

--
02/27/2015 6:37 AM
Author: Denied [21813]

I got denied last year in CA

I had a dui, and this other misdemeanor that didn't involve any moral turpitude/ theft etc.

After the Steven Glass case that went to the Supreme Court and got denied Ca became tougher. It wasn't what I did that was bad it was how I explained my statements- I didn't get an attorney if I did i would have been in

My advice...get an attorney who specializes in this trust me. They know what to say and how to say it. Call around interview a bunch until u find one ur comfortable with.

I didn't appeal because my attorney said just work on ur character for 2yrs and reapply cuz the appeal itself takes 2yrs n they usually won't overturn it.

:/

--
02/27/2015 8:26 AM
Author: Badkid [21813]

I wasn't denier but I was extremely nervous waiting for my C&F clearance. However, I ended up getting clearance just days before the bar exam but it wasn't california. I'd rather not say what state.

Had a few drinking tickets and one arrest in college, two items in collections, and one relatively serious crime and subsequent arrest from when I was 18. Think felony.

The process turned out to be much less of a big deal than I expected but was still pretty terrifying.

Hope that helps. If you've got any more questions, I'd be happy to talk more about my situation but I don't feel comfortable sharing many details here.

--
02/28/2015 11:51 AM
Author: orginal poster :) [21813]

Thank you Would'nt Worry, Denied and Badkid.

1. Would'nt Worry: I agree not hiding things is best. Great advice from your PR Professor.

2. Showing self correction is good. In my opinion showing oneself as a overcomer of past problems trying to do better and excel in life is better than acting like I do not care or see the need to show improvement. Showing good works and attention to fixing past problems is important. Cal Bar states they look at you going to Church or your participation in charitable works (soup kitchen volunteer?) can help balance issues or show remedial effort to improve.

3. Denied: As to hiring a attorney I agree 100%. They know what to say and not say. But how much does a moral character attorney cost? Thanks for the scoop on 2 years to wait to appeal.

4. Badkid. Thank you for sharing. I am trying to find a person in California who passed with a felony. That would make me feel better. I do not have a felony but simply do not look good on paper. As to your right of privacy I did not like sharing my negative details either. So I know where your coming from and say thank you for what you did share that was a lot and beneficial to me and I am sure other readers who are worried. Thank God we don't not have to use our real names here! Otherwise I would never post the details I did.

Best to everyone!

Thank you for helping me.

--
10/03/2015 12:53 PM
Author: Denied_2015 [21813]

I can't reapply for two years. Two misdemeanors. Nothing violent or for drugs, but one for dishonesty. One was 11 years old. Other only 9. Basically, I didn't rehabilitate myself enough for the first one, and the second one was less than 10 years old.

Good luck. I know two people who were denied admission the first time, and two years later were admitted.

--
10/03/2015 8:40 PM
Author: just dont be a cunt [21813]

obey laws,pay bills, be a functional human being

4crhists sake

--
10/04/2015 9:32 AM
Author: I call BS [21813]

I have a hard time believing this thread is legit.

OP, you really have to be kidding. You disclose a long history of financial irresponsibility, multiple altercations with the law that indicate alcohol abuse and/or an inability to control your temper, and 5 terminations by employers. Honestly, you've been "fired" 5 times? I was terminated once in life, and that was from a McDonald's when I was 17. After a storied lifetime of making such invincibly shitty decisions for yourself, you decided to assume massive debt in the hopes of getting a license to advise others? Really?

This thread is bullshit. If it isn't, your judgment is too suspect to risk turning you loose on the public with a license to practice law.

--
10/04/2015 7:04 PM
Author: you forget who you are deailing with here [21813]

If they were functional human beings they'd have never gone to online "school"
of course they are fucked up

legit 100%

--
10/06/2015 4:21 PM
Author: Troll_Love [21813]

Hey there, Troll boy, I missed you. So, now that homosexual marriage is legal, you and your man-pal will be tying the knot, huh? That'll be the most awesomest homo cake ever. You deserve it pal. Take a big bite.

--
12/14/2015 1:03 PM
Author: killurselfasshole [21813]

if you haven't been through the process, you have no right to comment. people change, everyone makes mistakes. in my experience the most careless members of the bar are those who had no character and fitness issues to overcome.

--
07/21/2017 4:59 PM
Author: waiting [21813]

Did u ever get admitted?

--
07/21/2017 7:22 PM
Author: km [21813]

I got approved with a prior felony conviction. I didn't have an attorney, I was very honest in my application. If you need help navigating, I will share my knowledge. Note that I have not taken the bar yet, so I am not qualified to give legal advice, I can merely tell you what happened with me, and how I overcame the presumption of bad moral character. Leave your email if you want and I will email you directly.

--
07/25/2017 8:10 AM

I passed the feb 2017 bar. Was your felony older than 10 years? I had driving on a suspended over 10 years ago, 3 jobs where I was let go and two of the companies do not exist and one I which I disagreed with the decision to let me go. All over 10 years ago. All disclosed in app. I was asked to write a letter explaining those things in which I wrote a over 2000 word response. I called my analyst to make sure she got my letter and was told to give it about two weeks. So not sure how to take that,

--
07/25/2017 9:42 PM

Yeah it was over 10 years old. I also disclosed everything and they sent me a letter requesting additional information. After I sent the letter back, it took about 2 months to get cleared. Other that that one (big) incident, I didn't have any other issues to explain. I think you are fine if you told them everything. A 2000 word letter seems like you went into great detail, which is what they want, I think. Overall, the process for me took 8.5 months from submission to clearance.

--
07/26/2017 8:20 AM

Thanks for response. Jeez 8 months is long time. Did your rbr if your state bar profile get updated before you got clearance letter or the converse?

--
07/26/2017 9:50 AM
Author: not all waits are equal [21813]

If you have a single issue (even a big one) I'd expect less of a wait than multiple (even "small" issues)

--
07/26/2017 6:36 PM

Yeah the bar website updated first and then a letter came a few days later. It was 8.5 months from start to finish, but only 2 months from the time I responded to the request for more information.

--
07/26/2017 7:25 PM

awesome, thanks for response

--
07/30/2017 10:49 AM
Author: E-Mail Sent [21813]

KM,

E-mail sent.

Thanks.

--
08/28/2017 4:17 PM
Author: E-Mail Sent [21813]

E-mail sent. Thanks.

--
08/29/2017 1:12 PM
Author: Poor Me [21813]

I was denied. The denial letter said I could apply again in two years.

--
08/29/2017 6:11 PM
Author: trolling? [21813]

denied for what?

--
08/29/2017 6:48 PM
Author: stfu (at last poster) [21813]

people are denied all the time, why assume a troll? stfu.

As to the second to last poster.....if you can reapply in two years then you aren't the worst person in the world. They just need proof that you STAY good. Basically its yours to lose. Just stay good for two years, and odds are you will be ok. They DO lifetime ban people. Is it ok to ask what yours was (was it credit?)

For now, main thing is stay clean. But it helps to do good too. Try to do legal related work. Many "JD preferred" jobs don't require a full license. Many document review jobs will let you in unlicensed with a JD. Process Serving is another good example. Stuff like that shows you can and have been trusted and done well with the law.

--
08/30/2017 12:43 PM
Author: SMD (at last poster) [21813]

SMD = Suck My Dick (at last poster), you troll bitch faggot.

If you're real, there's nothing wrong with asking for details after making a proposition.

But, thing about being a troll is that we can troll too, so fuck your face and your slut mama you bitch motherfucka! Lol!

Bring it, I can do this all day.

--
08/30/2017 3:09 PM
Author: well of course you can... [21813]

no life losers have lots of time...............to touch their penis and complain on the internet.........

--
08/30/2017 10:21 PM
Author: FYF [21813]

^^^It's still, "Fuck your face!"

LOL!

All day.

--
08/31/2017 8:06 PM
Author: KM [21813]

You can also appeal that decision. What have you got to lose? While uncommon, it is not totally unheard of. If the State Bar overturns the committee's decision, the committee has the right to appeal that to the state Supreme Court. The odds of the state Supreme Court hearing the case are pretty low. In CA, the most recent case heard was In re Glass (2014 - I think) and that was the first case they heard in over 10 years.

You can watch the argument on YouTube.

--
08/31/2017 8:07 PM
Author: KM [21813]

Reply sent.

--
09/24/2017 9:29 PM
Author: Lawhope [21813]

I need advice... academic dishonestly in ny... bar pass rate ...help? I sent wrong email to a group of friends rather then tutors in a group feature in the email and it had a retakeabke as many times open book quiz online and it changed qs every few times I did bad on first time.... I have learning disabilities and I needed help reading so I figured that’s y I did bad in the quiz... and obvi I’m bad at sending emails and my friends reported me ... however when I was told about the email by one fiend ... I was in shock and I had it unsent in less the. 30 minutes... I had a notation in my file academic misconduct.... what to do? Bar pass rate? I never made a mistake like this ever before

--
09/26/2017 12:25 PM
Author: Just be honest [21813]

And pray. Only combo you have that can work. Hang tough.

--
09/26/2017 6:44 PM
Author: Lawhope [21813]

Is there any other advice you or anyone can give me???

--
09/26/2017 7:20 PM
Author: already gave it [21813]

1. Be honest
2. Pray

the waiting game part of it sucks, but is unavoidable. Try to remember each day, that every day that isn't told no is a day that still has a chance.

--
12/09/2017 11:19 PM
Author: Ja49ers49ers [21813]

Hey can you email me what you said?

I have 2 misdemeanor convictions 14 years ago and 13 years ago.

Ja49ers49ers@gmail.com

--
12/09/2017 11:20 PM
Author: Ja49ers [21813]

Posted By Anonymous on 07/21/2017 7:22 PM
I got approved with a prior felony conviction. I didn't have an attorney, I was very honest in my application. If you need help navigating, I will share my knowledge. Note that I have not taken the bar yet, so I am not qualified to give legal advice, I can merely tell you what happened with me, and how I overcame the presumption of bad moral character. Leave your email if you want and I will email you directly.

Hey can you email me what you said?

I have 2 misdemeanor convictions 14 years ago and 13 years ago.

Ja49ers49ers@gmail.com

--
02/01/2018 9:46 PM
Author: anonymous [21813]

I can't just tell you what I said, I can only tell you to be 100% transparent. It is so old I wouldn't worry too much.

--
02/02/2018 6:16 AM
Author: Type [21813]

The type of offense matters too. Drugs? Assault? Etc?

--
02/14/2018 4:36 PM
Author: similar boat [21813]

what was the outcome of your endeavors?

--
02/16/2018 7:07 AM
Author: Second try [21813]

I'm trying to find someone who was admitted after being denied initially. I see one poster was told they could apply again in two years. Is the process the same the second time around?

--
02/16/2018 8:14 AM
Author: Varies [21813]

Varies by location, as well as the details of the concerned issue, the personal prejudices of the board members,etc.

--
03/26/2018 8:33 PM
Author: ramonlivliv [21813]

ramonlivliv@gmail.com got lots of questions

--
07/27/2018 1:30 PM
Author: BigMartha [21813]

I'm on my second try. I'd appreciate any information about the process you can give me, especially the informal hearing. BigMartha@mail.com.

Thanks in advance.

--
07/27/2018 1:44 PM
Author: Times [21813]

What happened the first time?

--
07/28/2018 7:02 AM
Author: BigMartha [21813]

Couldn't make the informal hearing. Two family-related DOs. No alcohol, drugs, driving offenses, felonies. Just a bad marriage and an out of control family.

I'm certain I'll be called for an informal hearing again. I'm able to go this time. Better place financially. I think I'll be admitted. No problems in nearly 15 years. Marriage dissolved. Family issues resolved.

Nevertheless, I'm understandably nervous.

--
09/07/2018 8:45 AM
Author: Cv_07 [21813]

I would love to hear more about your story. I myself have 2 non-violent misdemeanor convictions and going through the moral app. process. Just sat for the July bar. Email: cvargas710@outlook.com

--
11/04/2018 11:33 AM
Author: Inter Alia [21813]

Tried to email you. Got kicked back.

--
11/04/2018 11:44 AM
Author: Whatstate? [21813]

CV, what state ? I ask since I am licensed in a few and know the rules vary. You try expungment?

--
11/04/2018 5:53 PM
Author: Rg [21813]

Recordgone.com

--
11/04/2018 5:56 PM
Author: ?? [21813]

Posted By Anonymous on 07/28/2018 7:02 AM
Couldn't make the informal hearing. Two family-related DOs. No alcohol, drugs, driving offenses, felonies. Just a bad marriage and an out of control family.

I'm certain I'll be called for an informal hearing again. I'm able to go this time. Better place financially. I think I'll be admitted. No problems in nearly 15 years. Marriage dissolved. Family issues resolved.

Nevertheless, I'm understandably nervous.
did they call again ? Cuz blaming family and waiting on them to fix it for you seems like flaring sparklers on top of red flags to me

--
11/06/2018 12:19 PM
Author: ???? [21813]

Dude, you're an anonymous troll with a little penis on a second-rate forum. Who cares what you think? You remind me of my ex. Full of himself and full of shit. Funny stuff.

--
11/07/2018 8:08 PM
Author: Former bar reviewer [21813]

Keep showing your level of unfitness.

--
11/08/2018 4:44 AM
Author: Death [21813]

Not participating in the informal hearing appears to be the kiss of death. Things tend to get formal after that.

--
11/08/2018 7:25 AM
Author: ? [21813]

Is it voluntary? If serious don't skip it since if like regular court you'd get a default you don't like and even if not can't look good at main hearing if one later. Even a valid excuse would get poked full of holes, and it sounds like less than that here. If serious. Readers, don't skip if you in future.hire counsel if desired but don't skip.

--
11/12/2018 3:20 PM
Author: HearingBoy [21813]

It's not a hearing. It's an informal conference. If you don't go, you won't be admitted. If you do go, expect to be asked questions and have your answers challenged. It lasts about an hour 3-5 people will be in a room, seated at a conference table. You're at the head of the table with a microphone pointed in your direction. It's not awful. The only reason to bring an attorney is if you might say something that could incriminate you later. Otherwise, they want to know what you did; what you think about what you did; how you interact with authority, and whether you've changed since your particular infraction.

--
11/12/2018 3:24 PM
Author: Troll Slayer [21813]

Posted By Anonymous on 11/07/2018 8:08 PM

You're funny troll boy. You were never a bar reviewer. You don't have a law degree, either. You're just an ignorant troll. Real "former" bar reviewers don't have time to troll internet forums. You're a loser, but you're hilarious.

--
11/12/2018 5:51 PM
Author: holyfuckshuddup [21813]

Posted By Anonymous on 11/12/2018 3:24 PM

Posted By Anonymous on 11/07/2018 8:08 PM

You're funny troll boy. You were never a bar reviewer. You don't have a law degree, either. You're just an ignorant troll. Real "former" bar reviewers don't have time to troll internet forums. You're a loser, but you're hilarious.

full time faculty are constantly on these forums, wtf are you talking about ? Are you that detached from reality?

--
11/12/2018 5:53 PM
Author: synonym [21813]

Posted By Anonymous on 11/12/2018 3:20 PM
It's not a hearing. It's an informal conference. If you don't go, you won't be admitted. If you do go, expect to be asked questions and have your answers challenged. It lasts about an hour 3-5 people will be in a room, seated at a conference table. You're at the head of the table with a microphone pointed in your direction. It's not awful. The only reason to bring an attorney is if you might say something that could incriminate you later. Otherwise, they want to know what you did; what you think about what you did; how you interact with authority, and whether you've changed since your particular infraction.

Informal conference is a TYPE of hearing, if you eat an apple, the fact that its an apple doesn't stop it from being fruit.

--
11/19/2018 12:06 PM
Author: TrollBoySlayer [21813]

full time faculty are constantly on these forums, wtf are you talking about ? Are you that detached from reality?

Funny stuff. You claimed to be a former bar reviewer. You're not. Now, you claim that faculty at law schools are constantly on these forums. Hilarious. When do they teach law. Troll boy, you are entertaining. If you really went to law school, you know that faculty has their hands full with real students. Try to keep up, princess.

--
11/19/2018 3:22 PM
Author: ? [21813]

Pills, take them, all of them . Bye.

--
11/23/2018 7:35 AM
Author: me too [21813]

I understand even if you expunge a past criminal record te California Board of Bar Examiners still want to know what happened - to gain a criminal conviction or arrest. My view tell the bar everything they ask for. Do not volunteer information they do not ask for. Be truthful in all you state to them. Use candor. They do not want you not to be a attorney they are trying to protect the pubic from a liar with a law degree and license to practice law. Don't be a liar. They have compassion and humility. But they make a big deal out of missing information in your applicat6iopn or a lie. Do not fall into the trap and become afraid to tell them something. The average judge will tell you if you did something wrong earlier in life and chose to get a law degree the judge is behind your application because you chose to do something positive in life The judges do not want you to miss out on a chance in life to do better and judges guard against cruel and unusual punishment. Such as taking a person with as minor offense and barring the person for life from a career.

TELL THE TRUTH AND YOU WILL FIND HUMILITY WAITING FOR YOU.

You will have a clean conscience get advise to do better
Make active effort to pay off old debt until you get a letter from the debt holder stating the debt was satisfied even if a lower amount was paid. So many people lost jobs and had problems in life like medical bills they do not destroy your chance for a better financial 0r professional future. (There are groups of attorneys who will tell you some interests rates and penalties make paying off some not all debts worthier of paying a lower amount because the final sum originally was unethical if not skirting the laws on interests. In the Carolina we have attorneys and law makers fighting the pay day loan people to stop interest payments and fees that create a lifetime of debt. If you can pay the debt pay the debt. If you cannot pay the debt you cannot pay the debt. But you can keep working to find a resolution with the debt holder that is reasonable. And show the bar examiners you made the attempt to satisfy your debts if a debt is at issue. The bar does not like people not paying the debt off and just walking away because the question is will you rip off a client and walkaway to or not handle your client's funds correctly? So give the bar something to work with. Like the correspondence your keep to evidence your intent to satisfy the debt while you do not through your education away trying to improve yourself and pay debts properly. One applicant had $500,000.00 in student loans in default. And the bar denied licensure on the grounds the student did not make honest effort to satisfy or keep up wit the debt. So keep records of your correspondence witf any debt holders if you are behind on payments and make active effort to show you may have a financial problem but still manage your finances well or agree to work out the debt over time if necessary. Attorneys help clients do just that. And a few California bar examiners may have ha a debt too in arrears that had to be worked out for repayment under new terms due to circumstances outside the bar examines or government employee's control. Sick child, lost job, illness or divorce, separation, forest fire.

Talk to a experienced attorney who has helped past applicants with moral character and fitness.
1. Crime
2. Finances
3. Academic Violation
4. Being sued in civil suit
Do not be afraid to tell the bar anything.

There are people with bankruptcy, felony, misdemeanor who were allowed to practice law nonetheless.
Without knowing all the details I would predict holding back information gets more people in trouble than those releasing the information to the bar.

--
11/23/2018 7:54 AM
Author: me too [21813]

General Motors went bankrupt. Banks needed bail outs.

--
11/23/2018 7:02 PM
Author: make THAT argument [21813]

Posted By Anonymous on 11/23/2018 7:54 AM
General Motors went bankrupt. Banks needed bail outs.

do it

--
01/10/2019 10:24 AM
Author: Mike 27384 [21813]

I completely disagree with your statement above aforementioned. I find it disgusting. I too have a similar past in my early adolescent life. Mother and father passed away when I was 17. I know am VP of a investment bank, have been sober for over 7 years, panel leader on H & I, am married, successful, have massive amount of law school debt, and college debt, and work with some of the largest trusts in the country. Your opinion is simply and opinion, no facts contained here in. The code is based on honesty integrity and moral turpitude. You, buddy, are exactly what it means to not be an attorney under the oath.

--
01/11/2019 6:01 AM
Author: Niko [21813]

Mike, who are you referring to?

Add Reply
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Copyright by All4JDs.com