PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Greta Van Susteran: The Bar Exam is a Scam Video.
Last Post 04/26/2019 7:00 AM by Litmus
8 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:

--

12/05/2015 8:43 PM
Author: Not your Intelligence [21813]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpOuDhKZ8s

If you do not truth the hyperlink type in the title of the post at youtube.com and Greta (Fox News) will tell you what a San Francisco Attorney told me: Passing the bar has nothing to do with practicing law!

Thank you Greta. Your video made me feel better!

--
12/05/2015 10:09 PM
Author: LawJunky [21813]

I'll disagree.

As soon as I took my first case, I found that the bar exam was excellent preparation for working as an attorney.

First, you'll be discussing a fact pattern with a potential client who does not present the facts too coherently. This is an issue spotting exercise.

Then you'll need to respond intelligently to that client on the spot, or you'll not likely get the case. This is where the MBE and all your other black letter law really helps.

Then you'll have to write a complaint where you have to find the pertinent law, and apply the facts to that law. And you'll have very limited time to write this complaint. You'll have limited time because the client has limited funds and you want to get paid for every minute you work. This is very much like a PT.

So I will have to agree with Greta, someone who stopped practicing law to become a celebrity. Maybe she was not a good lawyer and can't see the connection between the bar exam and real life. I think that the bar exam tests skills are very much like the work of an attorney.

And how is she helping anyone by making this video. This will only help those who never pass, by making them feel a bit better for a few minutes. For anyone who has failed and wants to pass, this video is counterproductive.

So, the bar exam is just like real life as a lawyer. Believe in that concept, and you'll have a better chance at passing.

LJ

--
12/07/2015 2:02 PM
Author: 9xSound [21813]

Well said, LJ. Like you, I thought Greta's video was counterproductive. I also found it strange that she would put such a message on Youtube in the first place. She strikes me as being out of touch with the modern bar.

--
04/13/2019 1:22 PM
Author: Exactly [21813]

Isn’t she into Scientology?

I agree that the bar exam has plenty to do with real life. When your boss gives you a large file and says “write a memo on this in two hours” I couldn’t help but to think of the MPT. The MBE and Essays also refine your ability to issue spot and to analyze exceptions.

--
04/17/2019 10:51 AM
Author: Smiddywesson [21813]

I'm not upset for anyone voicing their frustration at the bar exam, however it's a heck of a lot better now then it was in 1972. The essays are inherently subjective. How subjective? California is unique in that they calibrate their essays three times. Calibration is where you gather all the graders to review the grading standards, and then grade an identical essay with the goal of everyone coming up with a similar grade. Most states calibrate once, but even in California a study has found that grades vary by up to 20%. How would you feel to have your future hanging on a test where you can get a 112 or a 152 based merely on luck? That's why we have the MBE. How would you feel to sit for the hardest test in history? That's why we have the MBE, it's scaled to the previous two administrations of the test, and it has a ten year lookback. It's not perfect, but it's not a scam either. There are over 50 jurisdictions that employ the test, how each jurisdiction uses it is no fault of the NCBE. If Florida or California use it as a gateway device, that doesn't make the whole bar a scam, that's ridiculous.

Now the MPT, THAT abomination has got to be a scam. It's entirely worthless. Yup, you got me there.

--
04/17/2019 4:58 PM
Author: FAKE NEWS!!! [21813]

Of COURSE fox hates the bar exam. Trump cant pass it. No coloring pages.

--
04/23/2019 5:16 AM
Author: Failure [21813]

Anyone who fails will love this video.

--
04/24/2019 10:20 AM
Author: Duranona?! No, no Donaruma. [21813]

What is a scam video or bar exam?

--
04/26/2019 7:00 AM
Author: Litmus [21813]

What litmus test would you prefer? No license exam at all? Would you trust doctors without one? CPA's? Heck even barbers?

Add Reply

Copyright by All4JDs.com