My experience studying for and taking the ohio bar exam
Last Post 08/04/2019 4:17 PM by weak
4 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:

--

01/16/2017 8:05 AM
Author: How I passed the 2016 Ohio bar Exam [21813]

I took the Ohio bar exam in July of 2016 and passed. It was my second bar exam and I used Barbri for both exams. I had to take time off of work to study so I didn't start studying until July 2. My Essay scores were 4, 5, 5, 7, 4, 6, 6, 7, 7, 4, 1, 4. My MPT scores were 5, 7. My MBE was 151.2 (raw was the same as scaled). My scaled written score was 160 with some decimal points and the weighted written score was 320 with some decimal points and my total weighted scale score was 471 with some decimal points. I was 88th percentile for written, 72nd percentile for MBE and 86th percentile overall.

I know none of that is helpful in the abstract but if you are wondering how to gauge what you are aiming for, that is at least an updated version of a scoring breakdown.

Advice for study. I only had about three weeks so I didn't have time to do the usual barbri method. Instead I set up a three week schedule and I was not able to take any days off which meant the same schedule sunday-monday for three weeks (not fun but if it is doable for you then great). Typically barbri wants you to be on a schedule of studying the conviser mini review, then watching videos, then doing practice questions, etc. Here is how I did it.

Step 1: Take the first 100 question practice exam they give you to see your strengths and your weaknesses. Whichever topic you are weakest on will be the first thing you start, and the strongest will be the last topic.

Step 2: Make a calendar so you have time to watch all the video lectures in a span of two weeks giving you one final week before the exam to review and take practice tests. Sometimes this is going to mean doing one and a half or two topics in one day.

Step 3: Watch the video lectures you have assigned for each day. I suggest watching it at 1.5x speed because most of the speakers talk fairly slowly and this will decrease the time spent watching videos by about an hour each day. HOWEVER, I caution you not to watch at too high a speed as you will not retain the information. Fill out your lecture book as you go along.

Step 4: Take a short break when you have finished the video lecture and then start doing practice questions using the online Barbri question set. There are thousands of questions and you can work much quicker using the online format, I use random questions of all difficulties on just the topic I did that day and I let it ask me questions I got right and wrong more than once. Make it a goal to do 50 practice questions for that topic that day (if you did one and a half topics that day you'll have to do questions for the half topic the next day when you finish the lecture and if you have two topics that day that will mean 100 questions that evening which I know sounds rough so if you want you can just do 50 and wake up a bit earlier and do the next 50 in the morning before you start your next day). Barbri will automatically tell you whether you got the question right or wrong and explain why the answer was correct and the other answers were wrong. This is not about speed it is about retention, so whether you got it right or wrong read the explanation for why each answer is right or wrong then move on. (you would think 50 questions would take a long time but using this method is isn't going to take more than an hour or two. Also, if you are finding 50 questions too much, change that number to 30 or even 25, its important to finish the goal you set though.

Step 5: Take another short break, I suggest something physically active, I took to walking around my neighborhood (about 1/2 mile) and coming back to it. Now you are going to sit down and do two Ohio based essays for that day's subject. The first couple you should time yourself and draft a complete answer. Once you are comfortable with the writing portion though, you need to start just outlining the answers then comparing them to the barbri sample answer. Make sure you are hitting all the right points and move on, that way you get a lot more done. Also, if you find that you are doing particularly well on one day's set and have extra time, do one or two from a topic you aren't doing as well on. Or, if you don't have enough time for that, just read the essay question from a weaker topic and then read the answer to see how it was answered. Then get a good nights sleep!

Step 6: Starting the second day, I would do 10-15 practice questions in the morning using the online barbri MBE set in the previous day's topic and then move on to that day's lecture. After you have finished go through step 4 and 5. However, you need to add to this by doing another 10-20 MBE practice questions from the previous days topic that evening as well. (Yes this is going to start to build up fast but as you begin to see that you are getting 80-90% of the previous days topic correct, you can move that number down to 5 which will only add about 15 minutes to each day. If you are doing this correctly you should be doing 50 (or as few as 30) practice MBE questions each day in just the topic you watched lectures on that day and then between morning and afternoon about 25-35 questions from the previous day's lecture as well as about 5-10 of each topic from other previous days that you have already completed. If you consider that crim law and pro are different topics, there are only 8 MBE topics to cover so there will come a time towards the end where you are doing some 100 MBE questions a day but that is only toward the very end and will pay dividends on the exam. Also, you don't have to do all the MBE questions at once. If you want to cover the MBE questions from previous days in small bites, do 5-10 on little breaks you will inevitably take throughout the day.

Step 7: This will really take place at any time you have spare time. On two bar exams I can say the topic I prepared the least for was the MPT. I did 3 practice MPTs before my first bar and 1 before the Ohio bar. This is an area that you need to practice until you get the hang of how to answer the questions quickly and efficiently, but remember that because it is a closed world question, there is no studying required. Think like a lawyer, read the question prompt, answer in the way that they have asked you for, don't skimp on the right details or emphasize the wrong ones, and you will be fine here. This section is honestly the most like what I did in my first year as a lawyer and should come naturally to most of you. That said, if it doesn't, practice as many as you can. That doesn't always mean writing out an answer or even outlining one. Sometimes you can gain a lot of traction by simply reading through the question prompt, all the materials, and then reading the sample answer to see how they approached it.

Step 8: When you have completed the lectures after the first two weeks It is time to do an augmented practice exam. Take one day for the MBE, then one and a half days to do a practice essay from every topic (remember unlike the real bar exam you have all day to do these so it may take a little longer but it is worth it to see your areas of weakness. This time around I would write out the complete answer for those. On the final half day of this two and a half days, do two practice MPT's.

Step 9: If you have followed this plan correctly you should have about 5 days before your test. Review the areas you need the most work in and go nuts on practice MBE questions and practice essay questions.

Step 10: Everyone tells you not to study the day before the exam, just to take a break and relax. However, if you are in the position I was in only having three weeks (well a few days more than 3 weeks) to study for the exam, then that doesn't really apply to you. The night before both of my bar exams I spent reading the conviser mini review on the topics I was still doing the worst in. I also did some more practice MBE questions and practice essay questions.

Final advice: Most importantly, I would say make those practice MBE online questions your friend. The MBE overlaps with the essay questions in some areas so you gain the most traction there. If you like watching TV, playing video games, or anything else to relax, try to supplement those MBE questions for that stuff. You are studying for the bar in a very limited scope of time (if you are following my three week plan) and weirdly enough they become, not fun, but an easy "time waster" that is still helpful. Also, take every opportunity to re-listen to lectures if you are struggling in a particular area. You can download the lectures to your phone or tablet. I had a couple long drives (including to Columbus when I had to take the bar) so I loaded the lectures in the topics I was worst at and listened on the way (I must have listened to the secured transactions lecture three times). At the end of the day you can only do your best so keep your head down, study hard, and aim to do that.

Obviously not everyone is going to pass, and I won't tell you that if you follow this method you will, but I am here to tell you that I was an average law student and this method worked for me and will probably work for most people who are stuck studying in a very short period of time. I also feel strongly that if you use this method in June and then repeat in July (if you have two months to study) you would also do well on the exam. I wish you the best of luck and if you need any more advice or have any other questions just respond to this thread!

--
05/30/2019 5:27 PM
Author: Better_Employer [21813]

Hi! I was wondering, when you studied for the Ohio bar exam did you pay any attention to the "Outline of Subjects Tested on Ohio Bar Examination" document found on the Ohio Supreme Court website? http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/At...bjects.pdf Or did you just follow the Barbri outline for Ohio essays? Thanks.

--
05/31/2019 2:45 PM
Author: Both [21813]

use both

--
08/04/2019 4:48 AM
Author: simranmittal1567 [1]

Hey, I am looking for a dedicated study partner for BAR Exam . I have put my profile and study schedule on SPAM. All my friends use it to find study buddies for BAR test.

--
08/04/2019 4:17 PM
Author: weak [21813]

Posted By simranmittal1567 on 08/04/2019 4:48 AM
Hey, I am looking for a dedicated study partner for BAR Exam . I have put my profile and study schedule on SPAM. All my friends use it to find study buddies for BAR test.

weak attempt at humor is weak

Add Reply

Copyright by All4JDs.com