CSL Grad Looking for Job
Last Post 10/13/2017 7:29 AM by LOL
9 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:

--

09/15/2017 9:09 AM
Author: I passed. Now what? [21813]

I was one of the lucky few to pass the July '17 NC exam. Does anyone know of any job openings in the Charlotte area? I'd rather not do document review, but if nothing else is available I'll give it a try. A bunch of my classmates are trying to start their own firms but I don't think that's for me.

Thanks in advance.

--
09/15/2017 3:51 PM
Author: Inconvenient truth [21813]

I mean this with sincere compassion: look for a different career path. Law is just not looking good for you. Best of luck, whatever you do.

--
09/15/2017 5:47 PM
Author: jobs [21813]

Document Review Jobs are a big one. Licensed in any state is ok, heck even if you FAILED the bar exam (if any readers are reading this and that shoe fits) can often still do most docreview if they google "JD Prefered" instead of licensed reviews. Licensed pays better (normally $22 vs $25 type stuff hourly but with 50-60 hours a week)

Process Server Work. May seem a step beneath you, but leaving a lawyer card vs a process server card gets WAY BETTER/FASTER results. I've done it both ways, trust me. You have value added and it will reflect In your pay (since its largely results based with failed serves getting just above cost of fuel, and good serves making far better)

Appearance Agency Work (google for local ones in your area) Get paid between $50-$100 per appearance for easy stuff that doesn't require jack for experience (pretrial hearings, status hearings, mediations, etc)

Do a combo of those and you can make a livable wage. Get on IBR to avoid having to pay the student loans. Otherwise you will starve. Also (no joke here) look into EBT and other govt benefits. Its just you getting your taxes back that you already paid into the system your whole life. Might as well get your own money back to eat.

Consider an LLM to live off the living expenses of the student loans if you get really desperate. Take weekend only classes so that you can still work a regular job during the week (even if just as a barista at starbucks or whatever)

Avoid even bothering applying to paralegal work or legal secretary. They wont hire you. They don't want a JD in there. They just don't.

There are more options too, but these are the easy ones.

Also consider temp agencies (Robert Half, etc) for both Attorney temp jobs, as well as other temp jobs that prefer your education level being graduate or above (edustaff, etc)

--
09/18/2017 8:58 AM
Author: RE: Inconvenient Truth [21813]

I mean this with the most sincere compassion; you're a moron..

--
09/18/2017 9:19 AM
Author: Puh-leez [21813]

Posted By Anonymous on 09/18/2017 8:58 AM
I mean this with the most sincere compassion; you're a moron..

Only a moron would say "most sincere" when a superlative adjective ("sincerest") is available. Do you also say "most big?" In any event, the advice offered was good and sound. CSL graduates had it tough to begin with, but now their chances of making a career in law are practically zero.

--
09/21/2017 6:23 AM
Author: Don't look in Charlotte [21813]

CSL is all but officially blacklisted in the city of Charlotte. A firm may indulge you with an interview, but there is now an unwritten policy to disassociate (even more than before) from CSL because of the stigma attached to the school.

--
09/22/2017 9:36 AM
Author: Confirming [21813]

Posted By Anonymous on 09/21/2017 6:23 AM
CSL is all but officially blacklisted in the city of Charlotte. A firm may indulge you with an interview, but there is now an unwritten policy to disassociate (even more than before) from CSL because of the stigma attached to the school.

Our firm has an official policy of not reviewing resumes from CSL lawyers. This is not a secret. Some firms will not consider applicants who don't have federal clerkship experience. Every firm is entitled to set its own standards within the limits of the law.

--
09/24/2017 8:07 PM
Author: Face the music [21813]

Charlotte firms are NOT hiring CSL graduates. They only exception is if someone has a strong connection with the firm (e.g., patent is a partner).

--
09/25/2017 9:56 AM
Author: correction [21813]

Posted By Anonymous on 09/24/2017 8:07 PM
Charlotte firms are NOT hiring CSL graduates. They only exception is if someone has a strong connection with the firm (e.g., patent is a partner).

*parent is a partner

--
10/13/2017 7:29 AM
Author: LOL [21813]

I was responding to your post, moron.

Add Reply

Copyright by All4JDs.com