Last Post 03/22/2019 1:26 PM by BookwormBill
4 Replies
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button
Sort:

--

01/08/2019 10:37 PM
Author: KayD83 [1]

Hi,

I need suggestions on how to increase my MBE score. It would be really helpful if you guys could share your study strategies for MBE.

--
01/09/2019 8:01 AM
Author: helper [21813]

Posted By KayD83 on 01/08/2019 10:37 PM
Hi,

I need suggestions on how to increase my MBE score. It would be really helpful if you guys could share your study strategies for MBE.

http://www.barexamhero.com

--
01/10/2019 4:29 AM
Author: Niko [21813]

Flash cards every night until you know the rules cold. Quizlet has free flashcards by prior bar takers. We had 1400 for Themis.

--
02/12/2019 11:30 AM
Author: Sean [21813]

Every time you answer a question incorrectly, write down the rule of law that had you known it you would have answered the question correctly. The key is to focus on concepts rather than individual fact patterns. The concepts will continue to repeat but they'll be hidden behind new sets of facts. Once you understand a given concept you'll be able to apply it to any set of facts and use that application to draw the correct conclusion (and the conclusion in the answer on the MBE).

Sean

Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring (http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com)

--
03/22/2019 1:26 PM
Author: BookwormBill [14]

Read everything the NCBE says for a few years like me, and you find some interesting quotes.
Susan Case, former Director of Testing for the NCBE, was quoted in 2013 as saying everything you need to pass is contained in the four OPE Exams. I would add the two study aids to that, but I'm not her, and she would know better than anyone handing out advice. The NCBE posted these materials, and then revised them in 2017. On Monday, 3/25/2019, they are revising them a second time and providing them in a new learning platform. Take the hint. Our problem isn't a lack of materials, we are awash in them. Our problem is focus. Forget learning 6000 rules pretty well, there's only 200 questions on the test. Focus like a laser beam on the 400 questions on the OPE Exams, those are the rules that are tested. The MBE is designed to confuse you about what you already know. The DEPTH of your knowledge is what's important. Better to know 400 rules backwards and forwards, which is auto pass, than 6000 really well, which is gambling. Take the hint. Your big review companies still teach water rights for heaven's sake. That hasn't been tested for years. RAP is almost dead. Move on, study what the NCBE says to study.

That takes care of the law. Now you have to learn the gamesmanship of the MBE. This means you have to use old released questions and pay attention to the tricks they play. Be advised there are a lot of people who say old released questions are no good. Not so. Yes the law changes, what is tested drifts, and the form of the questions gets tweeked over time, but the examiners have been using the same terminology and tricks year after year since 1972. The NCBE materials will give you the law, the old questions will give you the tricks.

However, the old released questions only cover 2/3rds of the test. There are 60 equators used to compare your group to the previous two administrations of the test. These are the hardest questions on the test. Adaptibar, BarMax, etc., they are using the easy to middle difficulty questions that are released, you need to supplement for the hard ones. Barbri and Kaplan put out some pretty difficult questions. Even if they have not been snatched from the exam, and I would never say they do that without proof, their questions are uniformly reported to give their students a kicker over their practice scores. Let's say they are that well worded and leave it at that.

Adaptibar and Barmax: They have a great platform. They are priced very closely. BarMax doesn't appear to be $100 cheaper as everyone says because their $300 package is missing some OPE Exams. I used Adaptibar. Their metrics are very good. Being able to see the performance of other students in your state and nationally is better than a bottle of sleeping pills, you sleep well knowing where you stand. For me, having a lot of success in MBE prep kept me from melting down when my computer failed me for 7.5 hours of find the cursor and cut and paste problems. It was awful.

Get as new a Barbri book as you can, and get Adaptibar. Drill the hell out of those OPE Exams. If you don't have the money, go with the NCBE learning platform coming out on March 25 and get Strategies and Tactics, and S&T FINZ (harder questions). You can easily do this. I got myself up to a consistent 91-94% practice score going into the test, and that's why I didn't walk out when my computer screwed me. I still may have failed, but I bet my MBE saves me.

Add Reply

Copyright by All4JDs.com